Saturday 9 May 2015

Poetry for Mother's Day Cards

Having your little one (or big one) write an original poem for a card can make any Mother's Day card extra-special. Here are a couple of quick tips and types of poetry with examples to help you create a lasting impression.

Types of poetry:

Haiku: a poem of three lines with a total of 17 syllables.
The first line has 5 syllables, the second has 7, and the third has 5.

Thankful for my mom,
Even when she’s tough on me,
Always has my back.

or 

A mother’s love blooms,
A thing of growing beauty,
That will never fade.

Cinquain: Five lines, each with a designated number of syllables: 2, 4, 6, 8, and 2 syllables respectively.

Mother,
Gave me my life,
Held my hand when I was small,
Scared off monsters under my bed,
Loves me.

Tanka: five lines, each with a designated number of syllables: 5,7,5 (like a haiku), then 7,7, syllables for the last two lines.

Mother, I love you,
You took time to teach me things,
Taught me my manners,
And the right way to treat others,
I am me, because of you.

Acrostic: a poem where letters of the topic spelled out vertically create the beginning of each line. These can be one word lines, or phrases.

Marvelous
Outrageous
Terrific
Happy
Energetic
Reliable

or

Most amazing
Only one who puts up with me
Thankful for her family
Helps me out when I need her
Entertains us
Really loves me

Sonnet: 14 line poem with a specific rhyming scheme. Each letter (and colour) represents the rhyming word pattern that ends each line: ABAB CDCD EFEF GG

My mother’s bright like yonder sun,
Her tongue sharp like a shining sword
She showers kindness on everyone,
And speaks the truth with every word
She takes the time to treat me right
A model of complete respect,
And when my siblings and I fight,
Both sides of it she will inspect
She creates each healthy meal
We love to stuff our faces with,
She gives us medicine so we can heal
And tells us stories, poems and myths,
She sings us songs and taught us art,
I love you mom, with all my heart.

Please note: all of these poems are my original copyrighted work, feel free to use them in your cards made for family members.  If you are planning on using them for sales of any kind, please contact me first for permission to use them in projects of that nature.

Also, check out my author website at: www.booksofafeather.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment